Can Kids Be cured Of Their Peanut Allergies-masa-c

By admin. Filed in Home Products & Services  |  
TOP digg

Alternative Written by practitioner Martha H. Howard, MD – Peanut allergies are scary. Peanuts can be a hidden food ingredients. Other foods that are not "supposed" to contain peanuts can be contaminated by invisible peanut particles found on processing machinery. Some food (such as chili) may have peanut butter as a secret ingredient in the recipe. And for many children and adults, taking in even the tiniest amount of peanuts causes an allergic response called anaphylaxis, which can be almost immediately fatal. So it is understandable that researchers would be looking to prevent the whole process. The July 2010 issue of Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology has reported a study done at Berlin’s Charite University Hospital and New York’s Mt. Sinai hospital attempting to do just that. They started with extremely small amounts of peanuts, and gradually increased the amount, hoping to "train" the immune system not to react. One of the principal investigators, Dr. Wayne Shreffler said that it’s "not ready for prime time." There were many problems: "The children had to be hospitalized for a week at the beginning of the study " Only 14 out of 23 made it to the end of the study. Four dropped out because of severe allergic reactions. " Only 12 of the 14 who completed the study could tolerate an amount of peanut particles equaling one peanut. That’s just over 50% of the 23 original participants. " The doctors still don’t know if the tolerance will last more than two weeks . " Avoidance of peanuts and products processed in facilities which also process peanuts, and carrying an Epipen are still the only recommended ways to protect against peanut reactions. For more on this study, check out this link or the original study in Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, July 2010 No one knows exactly what causes peanut allergies, and why allergic reactions are increasing, especially in the last 10 years. Here are some thoughts about the possibilities-peanuts are grown and stored differently, possibly increasing the amount of a very toxic mold that can easily infect peanuts/aflatoxin molds. More molds could easily mean more intense allergic responses. Also peanuts are generally eaten as peanut butter. For many years, this has meant brands of peanut butter that contain processed corn products, such as high fructose corn syrup. Exposure to peanuts in the presence of high fructose corn syrup could increase the allergenic potency of the peanuts, and the person’s reaction to all peanut products. The bottom line is this: The current way of dealing with peanut allergiesavoiding peanuts and carrying an Epipen is still considered the best method for now. If you have a child who is allergic to peanuts: "Avoid, at all costs, any allergist currently offering desensitization to peanuts as an office-based therapy. "Be sure to teach any allergic child how to say no to people who offer them food. "Be sure you, the child’s other caregivers, and the child him or herself as they get older, have an Epipen on hand at all times. "Remember, there is currently an 80% chance that your child will have the peanut allergy for life, so be sure they learn how to master the coping strategies for themselves as they get older. mission is the education and advocacy of natural medicine and a holistic lifestyle. Please give credit to the original author when republishing all or part of any article. Also, kindly link back to .ChicagoHealers.. About the Author: 相关的主题文章:

Comments are closed.