Poison Ivy And What It Means To You When Affected By It..-www.avtt.net

By admin. Filed in Home Products & Services  |  
TOP del.icio.us digg

Health Poison Ivy is a plant that prospers through most of North America and is present in two main varieties Western, or Pacific, and Atlantic. The problem with Poison Ivy, which grows as ground cover and can eventually be seen as large bushes, is that it contains an oil Urushiol that, when it comes into contact with our skin, causes very nasty blistering and irritation. It is vital to understand that the oil occurs not just in the leaves but in every part of the plant, including the root and the stem, and it is the immune system pushing against the poison, as it seeps into the skin, that is the originator of the pain we experience. Why Poison Ivy is poisonous It may seem pointless to us that at plant should be poisonous, but like the best living things Poison Ivy has its part in the ecosystem. The way it grows is a guide as it gives shelter for lower growing plants and ground dwelling animals, and the majority of these are, unlike humans, not affected by the oil. Also, Poison Ivy bears berries that are an important foodstuff for a variety of bird species. How to see the symptoms and more about Urushiol oil. The patient will very quickly undergo irritation in the skin, mixed with severe itching and inflammation in the infected area. The skin will become darker and a burning feeling will occur, and in a short span blisters will form along with the rash. Suffering can persist for many weeks or may be done with within days, and a particular case is different. It is suggested that cooling the skin is a good antidote and also prevents further infection. There are various important facts that people need to understand about Urushiol oil, and the first is that it is very potent indeed. Research has displayed that a quantity of the oil the size of a pin-head could infect 500 people, and as it is not a water based substance it will not evaporate. The latter mentioned presents a major obstacle as it means the oil can stay on items it has been in contact with for as long as, and maybe longer than, a year. This gives us the possibility of re-infection, or of an individual who has not been in contact with the plant being contaminated. Clothes, shoes, tools and pets can all hold the oil, and the tiny amounts necessary to cause suffering give it greater potency. Gloves and coats, as well as boots, are among the most common causes of Poison Ivy infection and should be cleaned thoroughly if contamination is suspected. How you can become infected There are a variety of ways that an individual can come into contact with the oil from Poison Ivy, and transfer from preciously contaminated clothing and other items is one method as we have already noted. The reason that we suffer when having come into contact with the oil is because of the instant reaction it promotes, and it is notable that direct contact with the plant is not imperative to induce a reaction. If Poison Ivy is burned the smoke is full with vaporised oil, and even coming into contact with this mixture can cause an attack. It has been said that a 100 year old item once affected a person, an indication of how much troube the plant can be. Anything that has touched the sap of the plant has to be avoided, therefore, and animals kept away from Poison Ivy bushes. How to deal with a sufferer of a Poison Ivy reaction It is essential that treatment is initiated immediately, and the best method is to wash the affected area in warm water. A popular recommendation is to use a very well tried antimicrobial soap and to do all one can to stop the patient from scratching, as this will spread the problem more. It is recommended to crack the blisters, too, and to bring the area of infection exposure to the air. Keeping blisters wrapped is imperative in order not to invite infection. Remember that it is just the oil that will allow the infection to spread, so contact with it should be treated with caution. The condition will, in a while, clear up naturally, but there are treatments available for the irritation and for serious reactions. It is the domain of the individual whether to wait for it to subside or to invest in further help. Some lucky people are fortunate in that they have no sensitivity to Poison Ivy, but these are rare and most of us would be infected by coming into contact with the bush. If one knows of Poison Ivy the best advice we can give is the most natural avoid it very carefully and dont let your pet near it. About the Author: 相关的主题文章:

Comments are closed.